Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mt. Samat Experience

I'd been wanting to travel (backpack specifically), the Philippines and last week I had a taste of it. I went to Bataan Saturday afternoon. I then went to find a cheap apartelle and then stayed there for a night. I woke up early the next morning (I found out later I did not wake up early enough) and I commissioned a tricycle to take me to Mt. Samat.

Guess what, I walked the 7 kilometer-road to Mt. Samat and given my poor health, I took almost 3 hours to climb the mountain as I had to rest every so often. Because my decision to walk up the mountain was an on-the-spot decision I did not have anything with me except a 500 ml bottle of mineral water and 3 bars of KitKat.

I thought I was not going to make it but I did! It was exhilarating! When I finally reached the top I felt so healthy and all peppy. I paid the P 20 entrance fee and then went up the site where the cross is. I thought there were stores there that sell decent food (I was mighty starving!) but no. They were selling chips and chicharon so I had to make do with those. I also replenished my dehydrated body with lots and lots of water.

I went up the cross and viewed the beautiful landscape of Bataan from the top. I intended to stay there for a couple of hours but they had to close during the lunch break so I went down and took a nap in one of the benches downstairs.

After a few hours I decided to go home. This time I rode one of the habal-habals for a fee of P 50.

I ate proper lunch and then went to the terminal around 4. By six I was already in Quezon City. I found it very refreshing and I felt good about myself, too because in a span of 24 hours and with P 1000 only I was able to do something I've never done before.

No comments: